When are the application deadlines for Higher Education courses?

The deadline for 2018 entry for UK/EU students is 15th January 2018. If you are looking to study a full-time undergraduate course, you can apply through UCAS to Bournemouth University, Kingston Maurward College or Plymouth University. Talk to us at Kingston Maurward College as early as possible to find out more about your intended course. You can attend one of the course information sessions advertised on our website: www.kmc.ac.uk or telephone: 01305 215215.

Formal applications should be made via UCAS – but you can contact us for detailed information beforehand.

You can still apply after the UCAS deadline has passed, providing we have spaces, we can still accept students until the end of September. Contact us on 01305 215215 to see if we have any spaces left.

Higher Education term starts at the end of September or beginning of October. Term dates will be confirmed upon enrolment.

What are the entry requirements?

Please see our HE Prospectus or the course search for individual entry requirements but below is a general guide .

Applicants should be at least 18 years of age by 31st December.

in the year of entry and are required to demonstrate a set of basic skills to fulfil the demands of the course:

  • Four GCSEs at grade C or above including English and Maths
  • Results of appropriate A Level, Level 3 or Access to Higher Education course
  • An accredited record of using these skills in employment (mature students only).

For international students, the TOEFL paper based test is no longer accepted as there is not a speaking element. The UK Borders Agency (UKBA) has introduced stricter rules on English language requirements. They published the Secure English Language Test list (SELT), and in addition to the overall score for IELTS and TOEFL (amongst others) they have set requirements for the individual component scores (reading, writing, listening and speaking).

International students must meet UKBA SELT requirements for their English as well as IELTS6. View the full list.

Applicants should confirm their ability to study on a Foundation Degree by presenting evidence of a course-relevant qualification equivalent to one A Level grade C, or 80 -120 UCAS tariff points (programme dependent).

I haven’t studied for years – what help will I get?

Kingston Maurward College provides outstanding support for students. If you have any specific learning needs, our team will help you all the way.

We help you with:

  • Personal support and counselling via the Student Information Desk
  • Study support through your personal tutor and specialist taught units
  • Open learning computer centres and library services
  • Research, learning skills, support and tuition
  • Special equipment, learning aids and help with dyslexia and other needs.

We are able to support students with a range of physical and learning needs. Visit our learning support page for contact details and more information on the help available.

Can I apply if I am an overseas student?

Yes, there is a support programme with Bournemouth University and the Royal Agricultural University and we actively support and encourage overseas students to apply.

How long will the course take to complete?

Full-time courses take two years to complete with a further third for a ‘top up’ to an Honours Degree. Part-time study varies according to the course.

Can I live on the College campus?

Accommodation is available within the College grounds, in a central location on the campus. It is close to the HE centre facilities, Learning Resource Centre and Cafe for meals.

We have a limited number of places for students who want to live in – plus we can also help you find accommodation locally. For more information visit our residential accommodation page here.

Details of costs are available from the HE course administration on 01305 215117

What about student life?

There’s lots you can get involved in at KMC – from sport and social events to discovering more about the conservation of the local environment.

We have a strong sense of student community at Kingston Maurward, with students playing an active role in campus decision making through our Student Council.

What will it cost?

For September 2018 entry, the annual tuition fee for full-time students enrolling on the first year of a Higher Education course at Kingston Maurward College is as follows:

FdSc Animal Behaviour & Welfare £6,165

BSc Hons Animal Behaviour & Welfare £9,250

FdSc Marine Ecology & Conservation £6,165

BSc Hons Marine Ecology & Conservation – apply via Bournemouth University

FdSc Countryside and Coastal Conservation £7,198

FdSc Agricultural Science £7,500

For information on full- or part-time fees please contact Lillian Mone, the Higher Education Administrator on 01305 215 177 or email: lillian.mone@kmc.ac.uk

There can be additional costs for some study visits or enrichment activities.

You can find out here about fees for degree level courses validated by Bournemouth University.

What financial assistance is available?

There is a dedicated One-to-One support Centre that is able to offer financial advice and guidance. For more information on funding, please click here.

For details on Non Medical Helper Support Rates (per hour), click here

Student Loans

UK or EU full-time or part-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. The loan is paid directly to your university or college. You have to pay it back.

Full-time student Tuition Fee Loan
Full-time Up to £9,000
Full-time at a private university or college Up to £6,000
Part-time student Tuition Fee Loan
Full-time Up to £6,750
Full-time at a private university or college Up to £4,500

Maintenance Loan for Living Costs

You must be a full-time UK student. Part-time students, EU students and students aged 60 and over can’t apply. You may have to give details of your household income. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back.

Full-time student Loan for courses from September 2015
Living at home Up to £4,565
Living away from home, outside London Up to £5,740

National Scholarship Programme

The National Scholarship Programme (NSP) is designed to help students in Higher Education whose family income is £25,000 a year or less. NSP awards are in addition to any other loans or grants you may apply for. You can apply once you have a firm offer for a place and you apply direct to Bournemouth University (for Foundation Degree in Marine Ecology and Conservation) or direct to Kingston Maurward College (for Foundation Degree in Animal Behaviour and Welfare).

Key Documents

Strategic Plan 2018 (177.00 kB)

For details of non medical helper support rates, click here