Work For Us (Click here for more information)

Special Education Needs or Disabilities

Special Educational Needs at Kingston Maurward College

We offer a huge variety of specialist full and part-time work based courses and apprenticeships from entry level to university level courses in many different subjects to help you grow your career. Subjects include: Agriculture, Horticulture, Floristry, Countryside Management, Outdoor Recreation and Leisure, Animal care and Equine studies. Practical work is core to what we do: learning is real, immediate and engaging whether working in the field or in the classroom. All this on our stunning 750 acre estate which includes a Georgian Manor House and Lake.

Kingston Maurward has a large Learning Support department that works across the college. We have a team of well qualified and experienced Teaching Assistants and Learning Support Tutors who can provide a range of support from scribes and readers through to specialist support for specific learning disabilities. We offer support at all levels and all abilities. We have both Learning Support and High Needs Co-ordinators who will ensure you have the right support in place when you start and throughout your studies and will co-ordinate annual reviews.

No items found

We run a number of Link Courses and Transition Sessions for the local special schools in order to smooth the transition from school to college but also to enable us to identify early on which students may be looking to come to us and therefore what support needs to be in place. The Head of Learning Support attends as many annual reviews at school as possible so that we can make sure that FE and the chosen course is right for your child/young person. We advise that families attend one of our Open Mornings which are advertised on our website to come and talk to us in more detail about what support you might need. We would also invite you to come in for an informal interview if you decide to apply where we can again discuss any support needs. We ask for references from school and any other information that will help us to identify support needs such as an EHCP.

If you have any concerns you can call us at any time and speak to the Head of Learning Support or the Learning Support and High Needs Co-ordinators. If a request for an EHCP assessment needs to be completed, we will help you with this process. We can also put you in touch with independent advisors who can also help you.

The educational programme will be overseen by a Course Manager and the head of whichever department you go into. Course Managers will see students regularly throughout the week and they will also have a number of 1:1 tutorials throughout the academic year. Your child/young person will have a number of teachers that deliver the qualification working with them and they may also have a Teaching Assistant depending on the need. Special Education provision is overseen by the Head of Foundation Studies and Learning Support, supported by a Learning Support Co-ordinator and a High Needs Co-ordinator. You may also receive additional learning support from our Specialist Learning Support Tutors who can offer 1:1 or small group work on top of the main programme. Please feel free to call any time for more information but we will also explain this at Open Mornings and interviews. We also run a number of Summer Schools during the summer holidays for students starting in September so you will get lots of information then.

Local Authorities have a statutory duty to publish information on services for children and young people with SEN and disabilities aged 0-25 (Children and Families Act 2014).

Local Offer purpose:

To provide clear, comprehensive, accessible and up to date information about the available provision and how to access it.

To make provision more responsive to local needs and aspirations by directly involving disabled children and those with SEN and their parents, and disabled young people and those with SEN, and service providers in its development and review.

SEN code of practice 2014.

Information is published by the Family Information Service who ensure it is parent and young people friendly. Relevant services and partners are responsible.

Useful Links: – Information and guidance to help children, young people and their families, including information about schools.

We would love you to come and visit us here at Kingston Maurward College, have a look around and discuss your support needs and education or would like further information on our SEN support please feel free to give Yvonne a call and arrange to come in.

Yvonne Blackborough – SENDco

01305 215065

Provide Feedback

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Skip to content