Employing and Funding an Apprentice
Whether you are experienced in taking on apprentices or thinking about this for the first time, we will help guide you through the system. It can be a big decision to take on an apprentice, so you should know what will be expected of you as an employer, and how we can work together to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours of an apprentice. Whilst it can be a reasonably quick process to employ an apprentice, it can take 3-6 months from the initial idea to placing an apprentice ‘on the books’.
Many businesses benefit from the decision to take on an apprentice, some do it because they want to grow their own business in the future and others go down this route as they believe that apprenticeships offer a great way to train and prepare young people for a career in their industry more generally. Whatever your reasons are for having an apprentice, please talk to us first to find out more. We will work with you to find your apprentice, advise you on an appropriate Standard to take, and guide you and your apprentice through the programme. Please contact our Head of Apprenticeships, Dee Vickers, on 01305 215241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Employing an Apprentice
Register for a Digital Apprenticeship account
- Upload your apprenticeship vacancy – this will appear on the Goverment’s Find an Apprenticeship service
- Funds can be reserved through this account too
To open an account
Visit GOV.UK Account. Once you have found an apprentice, you can then assign Kingston Maurward College as your training provider and we will be able to draw down the funds to deliver the apprenticeship.
Once you have made the decision to take on an apprentice and you have selected your training provider – which we hope will be us – you may be wondering how you actually set about finding an apprentice. The easiest way is to talk to us… we have access to the national ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ service and can place job vacancy notices on it. This service can then be searched by potential apprentices from all over the country, who are then able to apply directly.
You can employ an individual directly, without going through the Find an Apprenticeship service, but you/the apprentice will need to approach us about the apprenticeship you are interested in. We will need to conduct an initial interview to ensure that the individual is happy to take on an apprenticeship and to ascertain what level of support may be required.
Remember that to be an apprentice, that person must be employed for at least 30 hours a week and be paid at least the national minimum wage for apprentices.
Funding an Apprentice
Apprenticeships fall within different funding bands and last for differing durations. There are a myriad of rules surrounding funding, but you should be aware that you may have to contribute towards the apprenticeship (assuming that you are a non-levy employer and have a wage bill less than £3m).
• If you employ someone over the age of 19, then you will contribute 5% towards their apprenticeship. This is a model called “co-investment” in apprenticeship terms.
• If you employ someone aged between 16 and 18 the Government will pay the entire amount. They may also provide a £1,000 incentive bonus too.
Large employers (those with a wage bill of over £3million) will be classed as Levy payers – if you fall into this category, you are likely to know all about this already as you have to pay 0.5% of that bill into the levy fund. The Government currently adds in another 10% of that your levy amount and you can use this to fund your own apprenticeships. You can also transfer up to 25% of your levy (if you are not using all of it) to smaller businesses in your supply chain, so that they can train their workforce.
For everyone else, you will fall into the Non-Levy bracket and be asked to contribute just 5% to the cost of the apprenticeship – the remaining 95% is funded by the Government. This is called co- investment. If you take on an apprentice that falls within the 16-18 years old bracket, then you do not pay a contribution and the entire apprenticeship is funded by the Government. Whilst the above is generally true, the bad news is that the funding rules are not necessarily quite that clear cut… the good news is we are here to help; we are experienced in working with employers and the apprenticeship system and would be happy to sit down with you to discuss your particular requirements.